Just days after the new Batmobile was seen on the streets of Detroit for use in filming Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice, reports started to emerge on Friday that the new Batmobile had been stolen!
As with most modern big budget productions, when a custom made vehicle is used on screen, several are built. Usually each copy is built for specific uses, for example, stunts or with detailed interiors for close up shots.
On Friday 12th September Bleeding Cool broke the story that there was a possibility that one of the new Batmobiles had in fact been stolen from the streets of Detroit. Warner Brothers pictures had been contacted but no comment was given.
The Detroit Free Press contacted the police and,
Detroit police spokesman Sgt. Michael Woody said that police confirmed with producers of “Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice” that the vehicle has not been stolen, a rumor that proliferated on the web and social media on Friday.
“The Batmobile is safe in the Batcave where it belongs,” Woody said.
Proving he has a good sense of humour, director Zak Snyder who is using social media to his advantage whilst filming (He tweeted a high resolution photograph of the new Batmobile after the spy shots leaked ealier this week – See here.), tweeted this image earlier today. Someone contact J.J. Abrams!
Case closed. pic.twitter.com/fVyENoksFp
— ZackSnyder (@ZackSnyder) September 13, 2014